The silent witness of mankind (surreal painting)

“The silent witness of mankind” is a surreal digital painting inspired by my real life experience. I used to travel by bus when I had a job as a web developer a few years ago. I love to sit near the window side and life-altering ideas and imaginations arrive at that time. As I am traveling along the boulevard of Kochi, I see a giant old tree near the Vyttila Bus hub. Suddenly a thought arrived in my mind— “This tree must be 100s of years old. I wonder how it silently witnesses all these changes, the progress from village to busy city.”
If you think about the changes that happened to your city in 10 years, your mind will be blown away! There would be new roads, new modes of transportation, new buildings, new inventions etc. So how marvelous it would be if you can witness the change of mankind for at least 100 years! This thought is the foundation of this surreal painting.


(the silent witness of mankind)

The left side of the painting is a village and the right side shows the transformation to a city. From small huts to giant mansions! From carts to cars! People come and go, but the tree stands there witnessing everything. What would the tree feel? Is it wondering about human progress or pitying at human stupidity? Unfortunately, we will never know how it feels.  Apart from the role of a witness, I see trees as intelligent beings, as archives of knowledge. A tree is an epitome of selfless love. Even it is suffocating because of the smoke from vehicles, it is giving oxygen and cool shade to surroundings.
As the bus moves farther away from the giant tree, I pictured myself bowing down to this magnificent and magnanimous piece of creation with immense respect.

Comments

Popular Posts